11. oktober 2015

According to plan until 10miles left

The day started fine with a nice and relaxing swim. A bit fighting in the start and turnaround - the rest just gliding along without spending much energy.

Planned a very conservative bike leg. Didn't want to ruin the legs before the marathon. It was very hot and windy, pored water on my neck and body several times to cool down. Strong headwind the last 50km which resulted in a lousy time (but as usual, my best part of the competition).

Started the run after approx 6.45. Legs felt good, even if I run slowly. Did not push at all the first 10miles - with a speed that would give marathon time approx 4 hours - below 11 total time.
Felt good and kept the speed quite well till 16 miles.  Then the front of higher legs just locked - no chance of running. Started to walk a long downhill, hoping to be able to run the long flat section, but no chance. Continued to walk, loosing a lot of time. On next uphill the legs gradually loosened up, and I was able to run to finish - 11.23, way below my target.
(The problems is related to lacking run training - I wasn't better today.)
Ended as 86 in my age group (213  participants, and just ended in the upper part of the 2300 partisipants - and before the 100.000 that tried to qualify).

The nice part is that the my bad hip, hamstrings, lower legs and achilles managed it without making problems, thanks to the marvelous massage I've got every day. I'm a very lucky man, married with Bente (do also have many other reasons than the massage).

1 kommentar:

  1. Shame about the last 10 miles. But congratulations on yet another full Ironman finish!

    SvarSlett